Re: My thoughts on the w3.org site redesign

Jeff Bailey wrote:

> Hello!  I like the new colour scheme that you guys have picked, and the
> way you've broken the page up into 2 pieces with a colour difference.
> However, I think you guys have overlooked the reason why people come to
> your site.
>
> When I come to your site, it's typically to look at current standards to
> get information or to find some details.  The old site had all of the
> current standards broken down intelligently in the upper right hand
> corner.  Now, I have to scroll down

Actually, if you click on "keywords", you should go right to the
blob...

> and read a "blob" of information to
> try and find the spec that I'm looking for.

People have requested that links be organized in a number of ways,
including
sorted by domain, sorted alphabetically. We've had them sorted by
domain for quite some time, but for people unfamiliar with the domain
organization, they have had to go through the list to find what they
want.

So, we decided to leave the keywords in alphabetical order and move
the domain organization one off the home page, in "W3C Activities" [2].
That page has a little bit more description of each Activity, includes
links to the home page of each Activity and the latest Activity
statement.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Activities

> I would encourage you guys
> to consider altering the layout so that this information was back in the
> upper right hand corner in the well-layed out format that it was in before.
>
> Everything else looks wonderful!

Thank you for taking the time to send comments. Since the page is
fresh, we'll let comments accumulate a bit before we make any changes.

 - Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783