Back to the W3C Home page (was: Logical Linearized Order on a Page)

At 01:27 AM 8/26/2000 , jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>Surely it is important to recognise that at the minimum, when designing a
>homepage every user should understand the aims of the site.
>
>I imagine about 1:1000 users shown the w3c homepage would express a positive
>interest, or be able to answer a simple question on the aims of w3c. That
>means 999 are not getting 'the message'.
>Fortunately the WAI homepage fares a little better.

Surprisingly, I actually agree with Jonathan on this part.  (I
disagree with some of the other aspects of his comments, which
I've snipped.)

I understand that the design philosophy of the W3C site is "they
can find out information by clicking on the 'about' link" --
but I think that is a very flawed, dangerous philosophy that
promotes unusable sites, one that would not be accepted in most
non-academic web design.

I agree 100% with the suggestion that any main page of a site,
when visited by a user for the first time, should give enough
information for that user to determine if he or she wants to
use the site.  This is a basic of usability and user-centered
design, not to mention general web common sense.  The W3C's
site -fails- on that, and thus is less effective than it should
be.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                       http://kynn.com/