Re: Survey on publishers for ISWC [responses welcome]

On 2024-01-16 17:13, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> It would have been useful to make the survey better for those of us who
> do not have research funds.

Perhaps. I'd think of it as an inherit issue with how the whole this
particular Semantic Web/Web Science research space has been operating.
The survey just reflects that.

Conferences like ISWC/ESWC, .. journals like SWJ .. all essentially
operate with the understanding and need that's highlighted in the
survey, i.e., the certification and rating system:

 >The choice of publisher should not directly affect ISWC's CORE rating.

Let's see what happens when we remove that variable. Decoupling
certification from registration.

The existing system lacks fairness and inclusivity, especially when
scholarly communication has been relying on third-party (for-profit)
services, all meanwhile the read-write Web has been available for
decades at the fraction of costs.

With respect to this survey, transitioning to the use of Dagstuhl for
publishing represents a good / significant step. Or actually *investing*
in ceur-ws.org (you still can!)... or alike.

Any numbers on how much (taxpayer) money and rights that got stolen by
using the for-profit publishers to date?

It is the age old issue of for unknown wild excuses Web researchers not
having the incentive or motivation to ... publish and communicate their
findings on some sort of a global information superhighway for all to
access.

Recycling an obligatory quote by *the* Web developer:

> From: timbl@info .cern.ch (Tim Berners-Lee)
> Newsgroups: alt.hypertext
> Subject: WorldWideWeb: Summary
> Date: 6 Aug 91 16:00:12 GMT
>
> The WWW project merges the techniques of information retrieval and hypertext to
> make an easy but powerful global information system.
>
> The project started with the philosophy that much academic information should
> be freely available to anyone. It aims to allow information sharing within
> internationally dispersed teams, and the dissemination of information by
> support groups.

https://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/1991/08/art-6487.txt

Aidan, thanks for sharing the survey and the underlying considerations.

-Sarven
https://csarven.ca/#i