Re: user defined datatype in owl

You cannot define arbitrary custom datatypes in OWL, even if they
correspond to a structure that can be decomposed into built-in datatypes
like pairs of numbers, or vectors, or matrices, or lists etc.

However, it is possible to create datatypes that are restrictions of
built-in datatypes (e.g., numbers lower or higher than a threshold), or
unions, intersections or complements of any datatypes.

Such datatypes can be used as ranges of datatype properties.

So, complex numbers cannot be defined within OWL but the union of
numerical datatypes (xsd:double, xsd:float, and xsd:decimal) can.

All of this is specified at https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Data_Ranges

Note, however, that if you do not intend to use standard reasoners (or
even do not intend to do reasoning in your use case application) over
your data, then nothing prevents you from introducing literals like:

"12.5 + 4i"^^cdt:complex

It is also possible to extend OWL 2 reasoners to support such a
datatype, but may not be trivial, especially in an optimised way.

--AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann
École des Mines de Saint-Étienne