Re: Conditional HTTP requests in read/write Linked Data

> On Feb 12, 2024, at 2:48 PM, Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:
>
> That's interesting. How do you detect failure to begin with?

At the time we designed our system there was not yet a canonicalization procedure for RDF, so we instead relied on a specifically ordered mapping to JSON via JSON-LD, and used JSON Patch for partial updates. Some details here:

https://aeshin.org/static/pubs/Shaw%20et%20al.%20-%202015%20-%20A%20sharing-oriented%20design%20strategy%20for%20networked%20knowledge%20organization%20systems.5d6ffa50acd4.pdf

“Failure” just means the JSON patch couldn’t be applied.

If we were to do it over again now, we would use proper RDF patches against a canonicalized graph, and we would probably want to use strong ETags too as I suspect that “just try to apply the patch” would not work as well for arbitrary RDF triples (vs. carefully structured JSON-LD).