From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2023 8:59 AM
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>; Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Subject: Re: SemWeb + LLMs etc, here or a new group?

Hiya Melvin. Yeah, I think you're right about the practical use cases being hard to pin down. But I suspect this is an occasion when the tech appears first, its utility only later, praxis or whatever.

Look at the way folks in the dev community/industry at large are scurrying around looking for applications of GPT they can monetize. I've lost count of the number of '#1 AI Coding Assistant' apps I've seen.

(Incidentally I heard on the radio about a new book suggesting that Neanderthal homos may have been a lot more creative than us, few of their stone tools share a pattern unlike our clunky copied efforts of the same period. Their thinking patterns might have been useful now.).

On the web tech side, I reckon you hit the nail on the head in mentioning the follow-your-nose protocol. As with the web already, it's that where the real value comes from, specific formats etc. being at best secondary. I just found out that Claude can gobble fairly sizeable quantities of docs, 10k context window or somesuch?
That's going to seem nothing in a few years.

But a value point of using typed links etc is that it can provide a faster route to more relevant info. So (hands beginning to wave) although you can make the machines smarter with sheer bulk of data, RDF & co offer a leaner, more efficient kind of discovery. A turbo button, if you will.

From a practical point of view, at this point in time a volume-based approach is almost certainly going to produce good results faster (I am not an analyst but it also seems where most the funding is being directed : both MS & Amazon appear to be tying their efforts to their existing Big Data/big cloud systems).

But we (broad circular hand gesture) have experience on how the web does/can operate, have a lot of proven tools (formalizations, specs, all the way down to runnable code) in this domain.
TL;DR - just need to glue it all together.

Cheers,
Danny.