Re: Open letter urging to pause AI

On 3/30/23 08:27, Georg Rehm wrote:
> This letter is nothing but hype. Emily Bender dissected the letter on
> Twitter and put together the essence of it on Medium. I’d like to
> invite everyone to have a look:
>
> https://medium.com/@emilymenonbender/policy-makers-please-dont-fall-for-the-distractions-of-aihype-e03fa80ddbf1

My problem with posts like this link above is that they are no longer
about science and scientific discourse but about activism. This is not
even mentioning how deeply misleading the parrot analogy is anyways.

I agree with Stefan's argument about the speed of major social
disruption. Still, concerning the big picture, I worry more about human
stupidity (killing thousands daily) than artificial intelligence.

IMHO, one of the major problems (and I see many positive aspects
otherwise) with GPT-like bots is that they take the friction out of
content creation. While this may be positive in some more distant
future, for now, it means that the entire way in which the Web, flow of
information, education, and social media 'content' works may see rapid
change within months to a degree where a majority of content we may see
in 2024 could be synthetic. After all, there will be enough folks (human
intelligence...) that want to get rich quickly by getting paid from ads
for the thousands of AI-generated articles and images they can now post
on their portals or social media every minute.

Of course, this is not the only issue and maybe not the most important
one, but it points to an underlying problem: too long have we called the
universe, the brain, AI, and so on the 'last frontiers of science',
thereby forgetting that it is, in fact, US. We (science, policymakers,
etc.) do not understand society at large. We are puzzled by election
results,wars, reactions to Covid measures, lack of action on climate
change, and so on. Hence, we may struggle to maintain civil order and
discourse during the disruptions to job markets ahead of us, all while
being flooded with an unprecedented amount of content (e.g., fake
videos) with super-human social/cognitive engineering skills.

Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Janowicz
Professor for Geoinformatics, Director Center for Spatial Studies

Email:jano@geog.ucsb.edu
Webpage:http://geog.ucsb.edu/~jano/
Semantic Web Journal:http://www.semantic-web-journal.net