Re: Open letter urging to pause AI

st 29. 3. 2023 v 22:45 odesílatel Martin Hepp <mfhepp@gmail.com> napsal:

> I could not agree more with Dan - a “non-proliferation” agreement nor a
> moratorium of AI advancements is simply much more unrealistic than it was
> with nukes. We hardly managed to keep the number of crazy people with
> access to nukes under control, but for building your next generation of AI,
> you will not need anything but brain, programming skills, and commodity
> resources. Machines will not take over humankind, but machines can add
> giant levers to single individuals or groups.

[not sure the cross post etiquette here, so I'll reply all once]

NPT worked quite well with the nuclear arms race, past Able Archer, whole
classes of missiles (ie Pershing II) were destroyed, checked, verified.
This was done even though host countries were enemies, after Regan
recognized that in a nuclear war there are no winners (mutually assured
destruction).  In fact they might have almost reduced it to very low
numbers in Reykjavik had Reagan not insisted on the Star Wars program,
which anyway failed.  So these things can work.

However the AI race is quite different.  There is no mutually assured
destruction.  Just a hand wavy precautionary principle.  And this time it's
companies that have been left behind (e.g. Tesla) and want 6 months to
catch up.  Poor countries will benefit alot from this, by coming up to the
state of art with information services, in fact they may soon have an edge
given that they are able to produce cheaper electricity than western
competitors.

AI will change the way we interact online, and therefore, as people.

A lot of work at the W3C has been to create standards around structured
data.  In particular to create standards for determining URIs in data.  And
also giving meaning to those URIs.  Some of the benefits of that are made
redundant if machines can figure most of it out.

Elon bought twitter from jack dorsey and is now saying that he cant stop
the bots or the propaganda.  That's funny, because jack dorsey went over to
nostr, and nostr has been extremely effective in stopping bots.  We need an
open platform where humans and bots can work together without being
controlled by a company, and nostr is probably it.  Hopefully also Solid
will be another way to do this, when it's ready for a wider audience..

It seems clear that AI will help information society progress faster.  As
Dan says, there's no way you can put it back in a bottle.  In this case
trying to slow it down will just make others do it faster.  I'm excited, we
should embrace it!