Re: AI catfishing [was Re: ChatGPT and ontologies]

On 2/17/23 08:54, Thomas Passin wrote:
> On 2/17/2023 8:36 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
>> Has anyone tried using LLMs such as GPT-3 to find out if text is
>> human- or machine-generated?
>> Can’t you just give it the text and ask it?
>
> Except that they may lie or "hallucinate".

And I think our experience with the spam-fighting arms race has already
answered that question in general: we can detect the crudest fakes, but
better fakes will always get through.

Fake generators have an inherent advantage, because fakes can be
generated by the millions so cheaply, and the generators can be
programmed to randomly try different techniques and learn which
techniques get past the detectors.

David Booth