Re: Salad: Semantic Annotations for Linked Avro Data - was: GRDDL for BigData or CSVW for Avro?

> On 5. Jun 2022, at 19:18, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

>>> Thanks Eric for those very helpful examples. (I think the data you
>>> gave for the second example does not quite fit the schema, but I
>>> get the point).
>>
>> Yeah, I had .name as a sibling of .study .
>
> Before looking at your ideas on avro-dl I wanted to look at Salad,
> as it had Avro in the title "Semantic Annotations for Linked Avro Data”.
> The problem it is trying to solve is the number of different files
> doing nearly the same thing, which is something you pointed out
> earlier in this thread too I think. [snip all those examples]

Now I am wondering if one could not just use SHACL or ShEX to describe
the binary Avro data directly?

Salad is really only using Avro as a schema language, but SHACL and ShEX
are that too…

Could one use that instead of the json?
If so it would require some retooling (how much?), but it would have
the advantage of making the mapping of the binary data to RDF clear and
to keep that mapping very close to the data (since Avro data cannot be
understood without the schema).

Henry Story
PS. I opened an issue on Salad repo where I linked to this discussion
  https://github.com/common-workflow-language/schema_salad/issues/540

https://co-operating.systems
WhatsApp, Signal, Tel: +33 6 38 32 69 84‬
Twitter: @bblfish