Re: GRDDL for BigData or CSVW for Avro?

> On 3. Jun 2022, at 12:58, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:
>

>> I’ll look into Schema Salad
>> https://www.commonwl.org/v1.0/SchemaSalad.html
>
> In principle, an accompanying JSON-LD @context does this for you, e.g.
> AVRO schema:

Thanks Eric for those very helpful examples. (I think the data you
gave for the second example does not quite fit the schema, but I
get the point).

So the idea here is that
1) one can think
   of Binary Avro data
   interpreted with its JSON Avro schema
   as isomorphic to a json file JF.
2) One can then just consider JF to have the right json ld
context resulting in RDF.

That is nice because it means one has all the tools to view
the Avro binary data as already being RDF. (ignoring the
disjunction problem you mention)

Of course one would want to avoid serializing
the data to JSON in order to view it as jsonld, as
that feels a bit expensive.

Ideally one would want BigData folks to work
with the data as much as possible as they are used to,
without transforming it to RDF, but making it easy for their
tools to keep track all the time of the relations and RDF
types.

So there it seems like it would be better to have
the Avro Schema directly do the mapping to RDF.
Or annotate it as Joshua suggested using the fact that
Avro has java-like package namespaces.

Perhaps that is what Salad [1] is attempting to do. I’ll
be able to look at it more closely now.

Henry Story
[1] https://www.commonwl.org/v1.0/SchemaSalad.html

https://co-operating.systems
WhatsApp, Signal, Tel: +33 6 38 32 69 84‬
Twitter: @bblfish