Re: GRDDL for BigData or CSVW for Avro?

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 8:59 PM Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks for reminding me of that talk.
> I could not find a recording of it but I saw a shorter version
> https://twitter.com/bblfish/status/1162660513005953024

Ah, that is an earlier talk (at the first KGC) where I was essentially
complaining about how fragmented the company's data landscape was, and how
it forced me to work a couple of layers lower in the knowledge graph
hierarchy of needs than I would have preferred -- we needed solutions for
bridging the gaps between data languages and disconnected schemas in order
to treat our data as more of a cohesive entity, up to and including as a
graph. The schema software arose out of those needs.

The slides I linked are from a US2TS talk
<https://us2ts.org/2020/keynote-joshua-shinavier> about a year later. I
saved a recording in my company Google Drive at the time, but do not have
access now. Maybe Juan Sequeda has a recording somewhere.

> [...]
>
> Actually in those slides you present your idea using YAML around slide 40
> is
> making me wonder if this ”schame salad” project I came across
> is not actually doing what I am looking for
>
> [...]

Schema Salad looks good, and I would imagine its approach could be extended
to other data exchange languages like Protobuf and Thrift, as well as
GraphQL and relational schemas. Most of the data languages used in the sort
of tech companies I have worked for have a similar flavor, and it
surprisingly is not an OO-like flavor, but an algebraic one: records,
unions, and literals.

 [...]

> yes, I think there are many ways to create the schema. (I had a project at
> Sun Microsystems to
> enhance Java with simple @rdf addnotations on classes and files to give
> those URLs and so map them
> to RDF).

There, OWL might make a lot of sense as a schema language. I have found
shapes constraint languages (SHACL being the one I've used in practice, but
ShEx would work, too) to be a better fit for languages like Avro.

What I think would be useful is if Big Data Devs could easily see the
> ontology behind the schemas
> or the code just to make the meaning of the data as transparent as
> possible and easy to access.

Avro is pretty good in that it natively allows you to define types in
global namespaces -- so identifying records with classes or shapes does not
even require an annotation. You do need to tell it where to find foreign
key references -- e.g. this string is actually a reference to a User by
uuid, that number is actually a reference to a geo place, etc. -- but it
doesn't take much. Even Protobuf schemas can be mapped pretty neatly to OWL
ontologies for querying or visualization, without any semantic annotation
at all. I used to use Dragon+Gra.fo as a way of turning a few hundred type
definitions into bubbles and lines which engineers could look at in order
to easily appreciate the structure of their schemas.

Joshua

I’ll look into Schema Salad