Re: CfPs on the semantic-web mailing list (and other W3C mailing lists)

On 2022-03-22 15:42, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Dear subscriber to the semantic-web mailing list.
>
> I have been recently appointed maintainer of the list. It is with this
> hat on that I am writing this email.
>
> W3C has an anti-spam policy [1] applying to all the lists it hosts. This
> policy specifies that call for papers are, in general, not considered
> appropriate for W3C lists. This list, however, is a historical exception
> to that "no-cfp" rule. There was an informal survey back in 2016 [2],
> initiated by Phil Archer. The conclusion was that CfPs were acceptable
> on semantic-web@w3.org, but /should contain the string "[CfP]" in their
> subject/. As you have probably noticed, that rule has never been
> strictly followed (and I was guilty of that myself!)... It used to be
> documented on the mailing-list archive page, but even that has
> disappeared over time (I just put it back).
>
> I think, however, that it is a good thing to flag CfPs to make it easier
> to distinguish them from more targeted messages. Therefore, I ask all of
> us to stick to this good practice as much as possible.
>
>    thanks in advance,
>
>    pa
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/Mail/FAQ.html#spam
> [2]
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2016Mar/thread.html#msg108

[1] states:

 >We trust the members of our community to post responsibly, and in rare
cases we will ask people to modify their behavior.

 >Sending bulk announcements with generic text and cross-posting to
multiple lists at once is a sure way to have your messages rejected, and
possibly be banned from posting to our site in the future.

is the most relevant text I can see on enforcing the spam policy.

How is it exactly enforced and tracked? Is there a record of email
addresses that are blocked and URLs of emails (published under w3.org)
that are now 404/410? Or a record of contact that W3C made with people
to modify their behaviour?

Here is an example email [3] sent just earlier.

Here is another email sent a few weeks ago from the same org / same
email address [4]. And there are loads more like this that can be easily
identified, as you well know [5].

Clear violation of W3C's Spam Policy [1].

This is all after numerous attempts to tell these academic organisers
(in reality working for third-party publishers) to follow the
requirements of the list over the years.

Will these offenders be blocked? If yes, when? If not, why not?

Note that at the end of [3]'s email, there is an offer to "unsubscribe"
the semantic-web mailing list. Will W3C send an email to unsubscribe?

Thanks,

[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2022Apr/0018.html
[4] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2022Mar/0045.html
[5]