Re: [ANN] DBpedia Archivo presentation at Semantics on Sept 9

Hi Clement,

On 03.09.21 09:46, Clement Jonquet wrote:
> Hi Sebastian, all
>
> Indeed, there has been several initiatives to develop concrete
> methodologies and tools with
>>>
>>>     implementable criteria to evaluate
>>>
> The level of FAIRness.
> Note that the subject of "ontology evaluation » (i.e., quality) is
> different and way more older than FAIR. The  authors of the FAIR
> principles have clearly distinguished FAIRness and quality.

What exactly is the relation of FAIR and quality? Data quality has 1. a
narrow definition which just focuses on the data content or payload,
i.e. accuracy/correctness and 2. a broader one that also covers many
other aspects such as accessibility and availability, even performance
depending on where you look in the literature (good summary in
http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/quality-assessment-linked-data-survey).

Nevertheless, the main aspect of data quality is focused on the user or
usage. FAIR as a label reads quite user-oriented, suggesting that there
is some user who can find, access and reuse things labeled FAIR better.
Then, I basically stopped reading most of the plentiful FAIR literature
nowadays, because they are not user-oriented, i.e. they lack a
motivational part that clearly demonstrates benefits if done in a FAIR
way. The triangulation from FAIR to use case or usefulness seems to be
missing. I would like to mention schema.org here as a potential
alternative to FAIR.

> clearly distinguished FAIRness and quality

Hopefully, the distinguishing point is not the lack of usage orientation
in FAIR.

> In fact, turning the FAIR principles into concrete implementable tests
> or checks is perfectly doable. And actually, it is expected, a not
> only for semantics artefacts, but for any kind of research objects to
> which the FAIR principles may apply more or less directly.
> Daniel mentioned their new FOOPS.
> On our side, (folks working on ontology repositories) – because it has
> been demonstrated that the repositories/catalogues to share semantic
> resources are in fact very important for their FAIRness (e.g. [3]) –
> we are working on prototyping a FAIRness assessment component inside
> ontology repositories (in our case AgroPortal).
> https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/lirmm-03208544/
> <https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/lirmm-03208544/>
> https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/lirmm-03232615
> <https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/lirmm-03232615> (French only sorry,
> the English version is on its way, but there is a screenshot of our proto)
>
> The first paper presents a metrics (assessment grid) that can be used
> to implement methods for FAIRness assessment. Plus, it also lists the
> possible concrete metadata fields on which someone can base «
> implementable tests ». The second presents one method/tool that we
> develop within AgroPortal (well, in fact, the tool will be generic and
> will work on any OntoPortal installation that offers the required
> metadata properties).
>
> The overall goal of FAIRness assessment is not just to obtain a score
> of course but for sure find ways for ontology developers to enhance
> the findability, accessibility, interoperability, and reusability of
> the semantic artefacts. Thus play a role to
>>>
>>>     yield better and reliable ontologies
>>>

> Glad to see DBPedia is also interested in the subject with Archivo.
> The ontology quality evaluation done in Archivo shall certainly be
> very useful, but I don’t see it opposed to or more « hard » than the
> concrete FAIRness evaluation systems being built now.

I would claim that Archivo comes from the opposing direction. It follows
a usage-oriented methodology. The "hard" criteria here is whether you
can - as a consumer (data scientist / programmer level) - find, access
and reuse data. So the testing would be concerned with the question,
whether the data quality in its broader definition (i.e. the one that
subsumes the most relevant aspects of FAIR ) is sufficient.

> However, I would not claim Archivo being the first initiative to have a
>>>
>>>     a holistic view over all available ontologies
>>>
>    As Swoogle, Watson and Sindice did it in the past.

Aren't these search engines?  "Search" means that you can look at a
relevant selection based on a search criteria, which is very far from
holistic.  Maybe there was an aspect to these projects that I
overlooked. Did they publish the crawls? Are they still available? Where
is the overview page? I would like to acknowledge LOD laundromat here as
a source of inspiration for Archivo.

-- Sebastian