RE: Explanation, Mechanistic Reasoning, and Abstraction: Hypertext and Hypermodels

Dave Raggett,
David Booth,
Nicolas Chauvat,
All,

In my opinion, some interesting analogues can be found in the computer vision and perception domains where, for some tasks, adaptive and task-specific levels of detail are desired for outputs.

With respect to visual scene understanding, for a scene (imagery, video, or 3D), a system can recognize features, objects, events, and activities. But which features, objects, events, and activities are instantaneously most relevant? Which level of detail over the contents of the entire scene is most appropriate for a task or purpose?

In these regards, one can explore Scene Graph Representation and Learning (https://cs.stanford.edu/people/ranjaykrishna/sgrl/index.html) to see how semantic graphs can be provided for the contents of visual scenes. But which graphs from a set of possible graphs are instantaneously most relevant? Which level of detail is most appropriate for a task or purpose?

From these analogues from the computer vision and perception domains, we can see a bridge from situations where one best or correct output for some input is desired to situations where attention and task context play a role in determining which outputs (or working space contents) are best or correct. Which output is best for a particular task or purpose? Which understood scene and recognized contents (features, objects, events, and activities) are at the best level of detail? Which learned (causal) model is at the best level of detail? How can a deep learning architecture move through a trajectory of scene understandings or of (causal) models, applying transformations or category-theoretical functions to these contents?

Perhaps deep learning architectures will soon be able to use attention and/or task context to transform or apply category-theoretical functions to contents in a working space, be these contents recognized from visual scenes or the representations of (causal) models. Perhaps deep learning architectures will soon be able to zoom in to and out of parts of visual scenes or of (causal) models, providing users with adaptive and task-specific levels of detail.

Perhaps question-answering systems can elucidate these processes on (causal) model contents in a working space; each transformation or category-theoretical function on a (causal) model could be described as providing an answer to an increasingly detailed question about the explanation or (causal) model.

Perhaps, as bidirectional mappings are being explored between natural language and visual contents (imagery, video, and 3D), in the near future, we might see deep learning architectures which can provide mappings between natural language explanations and (causal) models.

In addition to how to conveniently navigate between models, there is the matter of how deep learning architectures might conveniently do so.

Best regards,
Adam Sobieski