Re: Chartering work has started for a Linked Data Signature Working Group @W3C

On 6/4/21 4:23 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> 1) make it a Verifiable Credentials with Signatures WG since the focus is
> clearly VC oriented, driven, etc and continue with json-ld centre stage -

If we do that, we run the risk of not getting the semantic-web group involved,
which is one of our goals here. We want to make sure the work doesn't happen
in a Verifiable Credentials / JSON-LD echo chamber... especially given that
the technology is broadly applicable.

> 2) if pursuing the idea that this is w3c’s approach to signing RDF in
> general, stick a less complicated rdf syntax as the central focus.

I'd rather do the thing you proposed a few emails back and restrict the scope
by saying "any external reference you're working with is under your control in
some way" and "modest RDF Dataset sizes". To pluck an arbitrary number out of
the air, in general, signing RDF Datasets that are roughly 500 quads in size
or less.

> The bnode labelling work items could be really handy in lots of rdf
> situations- without even needing signatures

Yes, that's true... but doesn't really help the Verifiable Credentials
community out much.

> Why not just call it a VC thing and be done? If it works for other
> usecases too that’s awesome and a foundation to build on.

... because it's not just a VC thing...

https://w3c.github.io/lds-wg-charter/explainer.html#usage

and we want broad review... and echo chambers don't tend to produce useful output.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches