RE: Upper ontologies

Please allow me, as a co-author, to tell you some about one of the 17 upper
ontologies on the Wikipedia list: ISO 15926-2.

Its domain is the world of the process industries, with all parties involved
in them during the lifetime of a facility. Together with its other parts it
allows for representing the life-cycle information about a facility, its
components, its streams and its activities, both process activities and
human activities. Storing life-cycle information calls for a 4D approach
with the concept of temporal parts. This information covers facts, and has
to originate in the applications used during the life of the facility. These
apps can launch SPARQL queries to fetch input data, as earlier uploaded by
other apps.

This upper ontology <https://15926.org/topics/data-model/index.htm>  has 201
generic entity types of which 106 classes and 48 reified relationships and
47 classes of relationship.

That model is extended by, what we call, a reference data library
<http://data.15926.org/rdl/RDS416834>  with some 22,000 generic,
domain-relevant, concept classes such as pump, pipe, valve, instrument,
document, status, etc.

Then we have various extensions with classes of standardization bodies (e.g.
ASME, DIN) and suppliers, and finally the plant life-cycle information with
individuals.

Coupled with a different extension, covering concepts of another domain
(e.g. nuclear or pulp & paper or healthcare), the standard can be used for
that domain.

All classes are in one taxonomy with Thing at the top.

Information is represented with 'templates
<http://15926.org/home/15926_template_specs.php> ', small ontologies using
UO concepts. When designing their concept we were inspired by the W3C
Working Group Note 'Defining N-ary Relations on the Semantic Web
<https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/> ' by Natasha Noy and Alan
Rector.

I recently mapped the data model and reference data of CFIHOS, the data
project of IOGP (International Association of Oil & Gas Producers), and
didn't encounter mapping problems. So it is safe to say that it is 'fit for
purpose'.

As a noteworthy feature we adopted the Possible Worlds
<https://15926.org/topics/possible-worlds/index.htm>  of David K. Lewis
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lewis_(philosopher)> ' treatise "On the
Plurality of Worlds <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/david-lewis/> ",
allowing us to model engineered objects and real world objects in an
identical manner, yet separated in their respective worlds. A perfect
starting point for Digital Twins.

If interested, visit 15926.org <https://15926.org/home/>

Hans