RE: defining the semantics of lists

Hi Thomas,

You can find an answer to your comments / questions below:

> N3, if I understand it correctly, "reifies" a list into a first-rest-ladder to address its members.

No! Certainly not – or maybe I misunderstand you. We strongly recommend N3 collections to be implemented as abstract datatypes (i.e., in the underlying programming language; e.g., a Java class) but in the end implementations are free to do whatever, as long as they support N3 collections as first-class citizens.

Apologies for any potential confusion – I mentioned that a set of axioms could make N3 collections equivalent with RDF first-rest ladders (the “reification” thrown in there likely caused more misunderstanding than anything!).

> And the rdf:List syntax raises its ugly head again! ;-) If I understand correctly then this makes first-rest-ladder rdf:Lists second class citizens which probably is not a very backwards compatible way to go.

Unsure what you mean here – while an N3 system could represent them internally in any way (as mentioned), currently our goal is for those systems to support either serialization. How is supporting the “archaic” ordered lists not a backwards-compatible way to go?

> Reification is a tricky subject [/snip]

Yes, reification has well-known known subtleties in RDF - hence my statement of "not reading more into it" :-) The part on "reification" is not something that we are planning to emphasize in the updated spec (for obvious reasons).

> You argue that you don’t want to loose the semantics of the blank node (the _:b0 in your example) but I think you are mixing structure with content. Sure, the _:b0 expresses that there > exists something (up to this point a very trivial assertion) with certain properties, namely listiness, list members etc (now indeed interesting). The

>        (<a>)

>does the same: it expresses the existance of a specific list. What you want to capture with the blank space in your (,<a>) is actually already expressed: through the brackets! The >brackets are the equivalent of the first-rest-ladder of which the blank node is a part. The blank node is purely a syntactic means which on itself, without the list that builds on it, is just a >node

>       _:b0

>and as such is meaningless.

The problem: by using a blank node as a structural / syntactic / .. element to create a first-rest ladder, we get a bit more then we bargain for - not just a representation of the collection, but also the stating that the list exists. The brackets you mention are a syntactic element that do not have semantic "baggage", rather, they are a piece of syntax to denote the collection.

The aforementioned axioms are a way to establish an equivalency between N3 collections and the RDF first/rest-ladders, nothing more and nothing less. Note that these originated from the prior spec ; we are a bit hesitant to claim that these axioms solve all problems here.

>> Finally, note that N3 supports a set of builtins that operate on lists; such as appending, checking membership, etc. We plan to add a “length” builtin as well (honestly, even before this mailinglist thread started!).

> But now that Pat talked me out of the length property, what will you do? ;-)

Note that N3 builtins (will) have additional semantics for operating on an N3 graph; hence, they do not interfere with the underlying semantics but can rather be seen as a semantic extension. For instance, the Cwm built-in list<https://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/doc/CwmBuiltins> defines "list:in" as follows: "Iff the object is a list and the subject is in that list, then this is true.". Note that the RIF spec<https://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-rif-dtb-20130205/#Syntax_and_Semantics_of_Built-ins> does this in a bit more of a rigorous way. Formally defining the N3 builtin semantics is still a work in progress.