Re: defining the semantics of lists

> On May 18, 2020, at 1:01 PM, Cory Casanave <cory-c@modeldriven.com> wrote:
>
> Pat,
>> It is not easy to
>> see how to do this, however. I have thought about this on and off for about
>> a decade or more, and have not come up with a workable general way to do  it.
>
> I know you have thought about these topics deeply, where is the difficulty? For example the triple: {?Thing a NyExchangeListedStock} may only be asserted or inferred in NyExchangeGraph.

What do you mean by this? Suppose I publish some other RDF with an assertion of this form in it: what ‘law’ have I broken? (What authority will sanction me? How?) RDF is intended for publishing data on the open Web. And in any case, what is NyExchangeGraph, exactly? An RDF graph is a set of triples. ANY set of triples counts as a graph. Nobody can ‘own’ an RDF graph, and while you can in a sense ‘own’ (ie be the publisher of) a vocabulary, and can specify its intended meaning, you cannot control how it gets used by others.

Now, if everyone were to adopt the machinery of warranted publication described in

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234804495_Named_Graphs_Provenance_and_Trust

then we might be able to do things like what I think you want to be able to do. But I don’t see a big rush to this.

>> data that it happens to have at any given
>> moment - the ‘current graph', so to speak.
>
> Sure, temporality is its own can of worms (don't get me started).

I didnt mean to invoke temporality, rather the state of an RDF agent searching the web looking for information and maybe drawing conclusions about things. The particular bunch of RDF it happens to be using will change, of ocurse, even if the data itself is static.

Pat