N3 and SPARQL [was Re: Detecting cycles in OWL]

> I believe there would be a lot of
> value in an established RDF vocabulary to declare new functions (in
> various languages).

+1

> c) The general question to me remains whether there are sufficient
> advantages of starting from scratch, vs working with the SPARQL
> community to define extensions that would allow N3 use cases to be
> covered by SPARQL 1.2.

I think the existence of the N3 community group already answers that
question: Yes.

Although I have routinely used SPARQL as my preferred hammer, I am also
very aware of how verbose it is when used as rules language.  The
conciseness of N3 is one of the key reasons why I think it is good to
explore, as another option.

But I also like your idea of trying to achieve compatibility between
SPARQL and N3.  That's a good thing to keep in mind.

David Booth