Re: Detecting cycles in OWL

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 12:19:02 -0400
To: semantic-web@w3.org
On 5/4/20 11:16 AM, Mikael Pesonen wrote:
> could be useful to have a
> library of common reasoning cases with descriptions how to solve them
> and with what technology. For example this detecting of cycles as one
> case.

That's a very reasonable suggestion, but IMO the real answer is that OWL
is the wrong tool for that job.  OWL just isn't well suited to common
graph analysis problems like shortest path or detecting cycles.

I think RDF newcomers often misperceive OWL as a being a general tool
that you should use, if you are using RDF.  But in my experience, OWL is
much more of a niche technology than a general purpose tool.  It is good
for a few use cases, but not most.  IMO, SPARQL is far more general.
But of course, this opinion is entirely a matter of use cases and
personal preference, so your mileage may vary.

David Booth