Re: defining the semantics of lists

Am 12. Juni 2020 10:14:04 MESZ schrieb Patrick J Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>:

>> On Jun 10, 2020, at 5:02 PM, thomas lörtsch <tl@rat.io> wrote:

>> The situation with lists is a classic SNAFU. But lists are the
>easiest part. Identifcation is broken and no one even cares anymore.
>"Just use AI to disambiguate" I hear. Reification is a mess (and RDF*
>in its current state might make it better, or worse) and Named Graphs
>have no semantics, so there is no sound meta modelling in RDF.

For better or worse, it was a nightly rant and my apologies to everybody who got hurt in the process!

>Whoa. Named graphs have a really crisp, IMO actually rather beautiful,
>semantics which makes the ideas of committment and publication
>semantically exact, using the fundamental idea of a performative. Read
>the paper that introduced the terminology for details:
>
>https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3199260
>
>especially section 8.
>
>Unfortunately, this semantics (and indeed the very idea of named
>graphs) was never warranted by the W3C, so remains only a suggestion.
>It is still a damn good suggestion, however.

I was referring to Named Graphs as specified in RDF 1.1. I am aware that you weren't amused that the WG ran with the name the paper coined without adopting the semantics it specified. It would probably be more accurate to use the term Datasets when refering to Named Graphs as specified in RDF 1.1 and I'll try from now on. However when nowadays I come across the term Named Graphs without any further attributes I assume it to refer to Named Graphs as implemented in SPARQL, specified in RDF 1.1 and ubiquitous in practical usage, again for better or worse.

Anyway, Named Graphs and Datasets will be the subject of another thread. I'm still working through this one though and hope to post a wrap up of what I learned from it soon.

Thomas