Re: defining the semantics of lists

Hi all,

Perhaps a worthy example of using a list is defining geometric shapes by
using an array of coordinates. A very simple example would be a triangle
defined by the sequence (1,1) (2,3) (3,2) (1,1), with the numbers in
brackets being x,y values. In this list, completeness is important,
otherwise the described shape will be malformed or unclosed. Order is also
important: if the list elements are not reproduced in the right order, the
described shape will be malformed (in other words, the knowledge will not
be correctly represented). Next to that, if the shape is defined within a
reference framework, the sequence can be used to describe an area inside of
the triangle or outside of it. Common practice in Geographic Information
Systems (GIS) is to use the rotation in which the coordinates are connected
(clockwise or anti-clockwise) to indicate what is meant.

Greetings,
Frans