Re: defining the semantics of lists

Hi Peter,

my initial question when starting this thread was: what holds rdf:Containers back from having the same semantic weight as rdf:Lists? What could be done to overcome that deficit. There are some reasons why I was asking that and not the least was to understand semantics of lists - hence the subject line. With the question came the idea for an answer: an rdfx:length property to specify the length of a Container and thereby close it. With Pat's help that developed into an rdfx:last property because that way we don’t have to introduce arithmetic into the semantics. The intention is exactly the same: provide a means to close rdf:Containers, make them finite. Such a finite container could then be used instead of rdf:Lists. It would have a less obtrusive syntax, need fewer triples, perform much faster in the usual triple stores, would be easier to query and could be used with OWL DL. The only real downside so far: no syntactic sugar in Turtle - that would be another topic.

So the short answer to your questions is: the aim is to provide Containers with a semantics similar to rdf:Lists respectively to find out what is needed to reach that goal.

The longer answer is: rdf:Containers intuitively provide some semantics already. Membership properties are ordered by integer values, starting with 1 and incremented by 1 for each entry. What’s missing compared to lists is to be able to close a container, to make it finite. Most of your questions can intuitively be answered from there:

> On 1. Jun 2020, at 18:54, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been looking at the suggestions to set up chains in RDF and I have a
> number of questions.
>
> What are chains supposed to be for?

See above.

> What are the semantics of chains (saying a bit more than rdf:Collection is not adequate)?

See above.

> Is a chain more than a bunch of triples?

Yes, otherwise what would be the point?

> What counts as a chain?

> Can chains be circular?

No.

> Can they be infinite?

No, that’s the whole point, remember?

> Can they share heads?

No, there can be only one membership property :_1

>  Can they be multi-tailed?

No, there can be only one membership property per integer

> Can they have multiple values for one position?

Same question as before, isn’t it?

> Can chains be elements of chains?

Yes, but that is another topic

> Can chains be ungrounded?

I don’t understand.

>  Is it possible to have a chain with no elements?

No, as there is no :_0 membership property.
Maybe you mean missing list entries? Any list items at list positions less or equal than the 'last' one that are not listed can be entailed as being blank nodes.

> In my view it is a good idea to determine what chains are supposed to be
> fore and how they are supposed to work before the syntax (and any
> axiomatization) of chains is presented, not least so that it can be
> determined whether the syntax (and axiomatization, if present) actually
> supports what is wanted.

I think we did that already and I hope you have a clearer picture now.

> Making chains be rdf:Seq plus an explicit stop point appears to answer some
> of these questions, but the implications of this setup should be spelled out
> explicitly.  Further not all the questions are answered.

Will they ever be?

> For example, what happens if there are two rdf:_<n> values in a chain for a particular <n>?

It is an inconsistency.
What happens if it happens to occurr all the same is another question that we probably can’t answer.

> (This might be particularly problematic if the two values are both container
> membership properties.)  What happens if there are values for rdf:_<n> with
> n greater than the stop point?

It is an inconsistency.
What happens if it happens to occurr all the same is another question that we probably can’t answer.

> What happens if there are multiple stop points?  (This seems to be particularly problematic.)

It is an inconsistency.
What happens if it happens to occurr all the same is another question that we probably can’t answer.

> What happens if the value of rdfx:last is not one of the rdf:_<n>?

If there is a bigger rdf:_<n> then it is an incosistency, see above.

> What happens if a chain is one of its own elements?

The question makes no sense to me. There are infintely many ways to construct infinitely large or infnitely deep nested structures at any list item position. Why do you ask for that specific one? Is it an achievable goal to develop a definition that successfully rules out all pathological variants?

> Are chains complicated because of the infinite vocabulary required?

That would be a question that I would hope you could answer.

> One way to "specify" chains, of course, is to just say that they are a set of
> triples, and no more.  I don't think that this is what is desired here, though.

I don’t think it is helpful or promising or even possible to rule out explicitly everything that you don’t think is desired. I hope however that you have a better idea now of the issue at hand and we can get to the real business.

Pat tried his best to teach  me that RDF only _describes_, not _prescribes_ things - and lists are just another thing. Now, I surely need more time to fully wrap my head around that but it seems that all your questions and all my answers aim at perscribing, not describing. I noticed how the RDF Semantics document dances around that topic by clarifying that it can’t preclude all sorts of pathological containers and collections. Therefor I tried to come up with the least intrusive way to describe an intent about some container, namely that it has ony a certain number of members. Everything else comes from the integer order of the membership properties. That was good enough for the last 20 years so it should be good for the future too. I can wholeheartedly assure that my honest intent is only to describe that some list of mine is finite and not prescribe something about anybody elses list.

OWL DL makes some remarks what it expects from rdf:Lists, namely:
"When a list pattern is matched to G, all list variables _:xi and _:xj with i ≠ j MUST be matched to different nodes; furthermore, it MUST NOT be possible to match the list pattern to two maximal subsets of G such that some list variable in the first pattern instance is matched to the same node as some (possibly different) variable in the second pattern instance. This is necessary in order to detect malformed lists such as lists with internal cycles, lists that share tails, and lists that cross."
https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20121211/#Mapping_from_RDF_Graphs_to_the_Structural_Specification

This is certainly more concise and complete than what I could come up with right now but essentially it’s not rocket science either, it’s plain text. If that’s all that’s needed, then: yes, I can do that too for rdf:Containers with a 'last' property. And the gist of it can be found above.

I hope all this is enough so that you can now answer the question if such a 'last' property on rdf:Containers would break anything in OWL DL, catapult the ontology out of DL or otherwise look fishy and suspicious to you.

Thomas