Re: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]

Hi Patrick

Thank you for the time granted in answering my questions. I'll try to keep
it focused and work on the fire management with you 😂

there is nothing corresponding to the ‘reference’ case

If I were to merge two graphs, both containing URLs and bnodes, I'd retain
the URLs, but I'd create new bnode IDs (to avoid potential problems if the
graphs happened to use some bnode IDs that were the same). So maybe it's
just my terminology, but the retaining of original identifiers, the URLs in
this case, is the reference case.

How do you ever know when you have all the necessary properties?

Yeah, that's the problem being discussed earlier in the thread about
type-dependent comparison operations for value types, and David's
discussion about keys.

you might want to assign a URI to a literal value ... it shouldn't be
> illegal

Agree, it shouldn't be illegal.

Blank nodes don't have types.

When I say blank nodes have a type I'm being sloppy, sorry. I mean the
things they refer to, of course.

If this were RDF, what would this distinction (between class and datatype)
> /mean/?

Something being an instance of a datatype would be an instruction to not
rely on the identifier to find equivalents, but to (somehow) look up
prescribed comparison operations for that type. It'd also be an instruction
that those instances are better off not being skolemized and should be
passed along to the next consumer as is. It'd basically be an instruction
to treat the individual like a literal when trying to reason about the
graph.

Regards
Anthony