shared identifiers, sameAs [ was Re: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]]

Dan, I like this perspective. Could you please elaborate on this part?

> There is btw an issue with RDF in that each node can have at most one URI
> on it, which makes the use of transient/local IDs attractive so that the
> single place for global stable well-known IDs doesn't get "used up". If we
> all love URIs so much, could we find a way to have RDF with multiple URIs
> per graph node, perhaps? Or are we going to be stuck "sameAs-ing" them
> together across multiple co-referring nodes forever?

I don't want to guess what you meant by that or what would you propose
to address it. Could you provide an example of the issue?

I don't see much of a problem with minting new URIs for things which are
defined say in DBpedia and "sameAs-ing". Definitions and various
documents can evolve and diverge, so there being an option for consumers
to ignore the sameAs mapping, which sameAs being a semantic extension
and expressed in triples (ideally in a separate graph) provides, based
on criteria like provenance etc. is a good thing.

Currently it seems to me that 1) the work of for publishers is simple
(could it even be simpler?) 2) I can't see how the consumers could avoid
the mapping work nor the consideration if to do it or not.

Obviously the case of multiple URIs being generated for one thing by
skolemization in one dataset would be a problem, but I think you didn't
mean of just that, or did you?

Also I'd note that RDF systems can assign RDF graph nodes their internal
IDs and map even multiple (sameAs'd) URIs to it, and I expect that many do.

Cheers,
Jiri