Re: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]

Hi David,

My perspective as an iOS developer is that it might be useful to explain
blank nodes in terms of value types and reference types (blank nodes being
value types), as that's the terminology we're already familiar with.

Then you could say something like:

IDs starting with  _:  identify value types, all other IDs identify
> reference types.

Then you could compare primitive and composite value types and what to use
in RDF, giving typical examples:

    Primitive value types - Use RDF literals:
        e.g. String, Int, Double, Boolean.
    Composite value types - Use RDF blank nodes:
        e.g. Address, Coordinate, Fraction.

Then instructions on comparing instances of value and reference types, as
that's the main difference:

   - Value types: Compare by comparing various properties, the method will
   vary by type.
   - Reference types: Compare by comparing identifiers.

So maybe rather than getting rid of blank nodes they just need to be
explained in terms of what developers already know. In Swift for example we
have Structs and Classes (value types and reference types, respectively),
and the use of Structs is actually encouraged in most situations—see the
links below. JSON-LD comes somewhat close to this terminology actually, it
uses "node object" and "value object".

Regards
Anthony

*[Swift] Structures and Classes*