Typed RDF, OWL and Scala was: The Joy of NULLs (not)

Dear Prof Steffen Staab,

> On 26 Aug 2019, at 16:26, Steffen Staab <staab@uni-koblenz.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Henry,
>
> the pointers below seem to be really useful to us.
> The work on CQL and QINL seems to be very related to our papers
>
> ISWC2019: https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.00855
> Programming 2019: https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.00545
>
> where we use ontology concepts as well as queries as types in
> programming languages.

Over the past few month I have been studying David Spivak and Ryan Wisnesky’s work on Functorial Ontology Logics (ologs). Doing that
I came across Evan Patterson’s article ”Knowledge Representation in Bicategories of Relations” [1] which adapts just slightly that work
by moving sideways to the bicategories of relations. This is a
2-category where objects are sets and arrows are relations
between those sets. It is a 2-category because there are also
arrows between the arrows which we know as rdf:subPropertyOf.

I mention it now in this old thread, because it results in a
typed RDF which also covers OWL inferencing, and so it should
actually fit very nicely with your work on integrating RDF into
a typed language such as Scala.

I’ll see if I can develop this in the question on the subject
of typed RDF that I opened recently
  https://gitlab.com/web-cats/CG/issues/9

Given that it is also very close to the ologs that Ryan is working
on, it should be possible also to see how it ties in with query
languages such as CQL, and/or adapt that work to bicategories of
relations that are closer to the relational nature of RDF, and
so would be more intuitive for this community.

Of note is that the structure of RDF - the Grothendieck construction
of a database instance - plays a key role in defining queries in the
olog view of databases.

Henry

[1] https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.00526