RE: Ontologies and Graphs in the Hype Cycle

Interestingly, a number of years ago I proposed a concept for a digital person (1) (high on the list of emerging trends) that uses ontologies and graphs. I still think this is a practical approach to creating a digital person.

1. https://sites.google.com/site/semanticsimulations2/services

John Flynn

From: Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 12:25 PM
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Subject: Ontologies and Graphs in the Hype Cycle

All,

Wanted to share this interesting announcement:  "Ontologies and Graphs" are now in the trough of disillusionment of the Gartner 2020 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies.

Press release: https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2020-08-18-gartner-identifies-five-emerging-trends-that-will-drive-technology-innovation-for-the-next-decadew

Note that Knowledge Graphs appeared in 2019 but are not in 2020 because the capabilities are subsumed under "Data Fabric".

Always need to take with a grain of salt what the analyst and pundits have to say, but this is definitely a milestone for this community IMO.

--
Juan Sequeda, Ph.D
www.juansequeda.com <http://www.juansequeda.com>