Re: Don't you use GeoSPARQL? [ was: Do you use GeoSPARQL?]

Op wo 29 jul. 2020 om 16:51 schreef Christophe Debruyne <
christophe.debruyne@gmail.com>:

> I second that the functions provided by GeoSPARQL are limited, so I have
> little to add to that. While computationally expensive, it would be great
> to see that a future spec considering support for error margins/tolerances
> (e.g., as provided by
> https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/SPATL/sdo_geom-relate.htm#SPATL1107
> -- "Tolerance reflects the distance that two points can be apart and still
> be considered the same, for example, to accommodate rounding errors"). The
> datasets I've worked within came from authoritative sources and various
> generalizations contained very, very small rounding errors because
> maintaining topological consistency across generalizations was too
> expensive). The functions provided by GeoSPARQL do not account for that. To
> me, at least specifying the possibility of providing
>
> touches(?wkt1, ?wkt2)
> and
> touches(?wkt1, ?wkt2, 0.5)
>
> doesn't constitute much of a leap (the default tolerance value could be
> considered 0) and is backward compatible.
>
> Not only would this facilitate rounding errors (at the source, or while
> converting between coordinate systems), we could avail of that
> functionality provided by existing tooling and vendors.
>
> It furthermore offers one to see whether geometries are "roughly"
> equivalent, for instance; e.g., the convex hull of point clouds vs a
> geometry.

There is definitely a need to address accuracy or tolerance in spatial data
on the web. A problem is that the issue is broader than just spatial data.
The need to be able to indicate accuracy applies to all measured numerical
values (e.g. time, concentration, temperature). And I do believe that
design solutions should be sought at their proper abstraction level,
otherwise things will get messy. So ideally a solution should exist on that
broader level. Has there ever been an initiative in this direction for the
Semantic Web or Linked Data?

One way is somehow making sure that all measured numbers use
significant digits. That would not involve actually changing the way
measured values are encoded, just the way they are interpreted. But it
would have to be an obligation, not only for data publishers, but also for
implementers of numerical functions that have to take significant digits
into account in calculations and their output. Such a type of agreement
could help a lot to combat the proliferation of untruthful data on the web.
A requirement for significant digits is the ability to use scientific
notation. Thankfully that is possible using the commonly used XML datatypes.

Perhaps an even better way to deal with accuracy in measured numerical
values is a way to express uncertainty, like 1.23 ± 0.02. That way, we
could for example have x,y,z coordinates like (10.4±0.2,5.5±0.3,24±1). Then
the numbers can really speak for themselves. But I'm not aware of any RDF
literal type that can do this.

Greetings,
Frans