From: Franconi Enrico <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Sent: April-29-20 7:55 AM
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Subject: Re: Detecting cycles in OWL

CAUTION: The Sender of this email is not from within Dalhousie.
Hi,
Let me try to explain my point of view on the difference between OWL and (simple) rule based approaches and SPARQL (with RDF(s) entailment regime).

  *   OWL (and only OWL) is able to reason about the schema alone (aka TBox). For example, given an OWL ontology, I can derive new OWL statements, or check inconsistency, or check redundancy. Rule systems and SPARQL can not reason over rules or SPARQL statements; that is, given a bunch of rule statements or a bunch of SPARQL statements, I can not derive any new statement. This inability of being able to reason is due exactly to the fact that (simple) rule languages and SPARQL are too expressive, and therefore undecidable. So, being too powerful is not an advantage if you are interested in reasoning at the schema level.
  *   In presence of data (aka ABox) in addition to the schema, OWL assumes that the data represents an incomplete picture of the world. (Simple) rule systems and SPARQL (with RDF(s) entailment regime) assume the data to be a (somehow) complete picture of the world, just like SQL database systems.
It seems to me that, in the context of the semantic web, the ability to assume an "open world" view of data is crucial, in order to allow for interoperability among distinct authorities across the web. Indeed, RDF(s) semantics assumes an "open world", namely an incomplete view of data.
Having said that, I tend to disagree with Holger. OWL and N3 are not interoperable, due to the difference of the assumptions on the semantics of data. Indeed, a lot of research has been done to let OWL and rules semantically interoperate, but it is definitely not trivial to understand and implement.
In addition to that, there is also a main difference between (simple) rules and SPARQL (with RDF(s) entailment): a crucial aspect of rule systems is recursion, which SPARQL definitely does not have.

cheers
--e.