Re: Using boolean value vs class

Le 24/09/2019 à 15:57, Hugh Glaser a écrit :
> Very interesting question, thanks - it helps me explore my understanding.
> Sorry - as I have said, I'm not really very good on this stuff, but I do like to try to understand.
>
> Antoine, some of what you say puzzles me.
> Looking at class :Deprecated
>> The second model with a class :Deprecated ensures that an entity is either of type :Deprecated, or not.
> Is it not more properly the case that an Entity is either of type :Deprecated or we don't know? (Open world)

RDF(S), OWL etc are not 3-valued logics, where something may be true,
false, or something else. Something is either deprecated or it is not.
It may not be known in which case an entity is, but it definitely fall
into one of the two cases.

> So the boolean version seems to perhaps give me a richer way of recording knowledge.

In a sense, yes, because you can say for instance:

ex:thing  :isDeprecated  "true"^^xsd:boolean, "false"^^xsd:boolean .

And this is still consistent. But in my experience, every boolean
properties that I've seen were intended to be used for segregating the
trues and the falses. But this segregation does not come for free in the
RDF(S)/OWL semantics.

> To model the boolean equivalent, you could also have a :notDeprecated class.
> And then you would have the same four categories for the class version as you have for the boolean version.
> (Not saying this is good!)

Yes, but again, the "notDeprecated" comes "for free" by simply being the
set of things that are not in the Deprecated class.

> [Hang on - I have just realised that Mikael makes no suggestion that he will ever assert "false" - so your introducing the "false" categories (3 & 4) is like me introducing the :notDeprecated class.]

If the property is only intended to be used in Mikael's application or
system, then yes, but the question of what's the best model for a closed
system is not so relevent. Just use what is most efficient for your tool
chain. However, if the intent is to have a shared vocabulary that will
traverse application boundaries, then you must think about how *others*
may use it. If you define a property :isDeprecated with range
xsd:boolean, then the value "false" may show up. Of course, you can
document your vocabulary with instructions saying that it must only be
used with value "true", or you can add an axiom forcing the value to be
"true" or not present, but in the former case, you rely on out of band
information, and in the latter, you rely on more expressive constructs.
You do not need this at all with a class :Deprecated.

> Although I worry about your argument here, I think that the general principle may well be very good.
> If you see booleans, especially where they always seem to be "true", it is a flag that maybe a class should be used.
> (This is very similar to seeing "= true" in an expression in a programming language, someone isn't thinking right :-) )
>
> I usually view an rdf:type triple as nothing special compared with any other.
> You assert them and match them just the same.
> It just so happens that "we" have chosen that we can do sub-classing, and so if we do that, we get some special magic that can happen, which doesn't happen with everything else.
> And that is sometimes very useful, although it can make things quite hard to get the hang of.
>
> Then, as you say, there are a whole bunch of practical questions about efficiency of stores and reasoners when you do things in different ways.
> But, as with programming, most efficiency things should be left to the system implementation, and the source should be modelled in the most understandable and maintainable way.

We definitely agree on those last paragraphs.

Best,
--AZ