RE: From PSG to OWL

Thanks! I’ll get to wrok...

From: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it>
Sent: dinsdag 26 november 2019 00:49
To: hans.teijgeler@quicknet.nl
Cc: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it>; Mikael Pesonen <mikael.pesonen@lingsoft.fi>; Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Subject: Re: From PSG to OWL

Hello Hans, as far as I understand, you need to match a data structure (e.g. a knowledge graph extracted from text as in the case of applying FRED to definitions) to another one (ISO templates). I assume you can transform templates and/or input graphs appropriately.

Now, the problem is that templates contain general notions such as possessor, weight, scale etc., while the text may not use exactly that terminology (kilogram instead of scale, pump for the general type, etc.). And I assume that you do not have enough templates to cover all possible definition patterns.

My suggestion is to use some pattern matching technique to compare a sequence (a schema pattern emerging from a text e.g. through FRED) to a set of template sequences, and to rank them. Of course, you’ll need an expansion of template elements in order to provide enough material for the matching. I am pretty sure a seq2seq algorithm could perform pretty well with some background knowledge for the templates, which of course should be provided by you as domain expert. Alternatively, ontologies and lexical resources may be used for inferring the matching when available for the domain addressed.

My 2 cents

Aldo

PS when submitting special performatives to FRED (e.g. commands, questions, etc.), since the basic parser has been trained on declarative sentences, it might help paraphrasing the performative, e.g. “You should list all the elements” instead of “List all the elements”. This is a typical rewriting made at pre-processing time to optimise results without retraining the basic syntactic parser.