RE: Relationships and Relations

Hi Pat,

Thank you for that very last sentence: “....saying that the relation is a class actually makes good sense.“ !

It gives a (partial) answer to a question I couldn’t find an answer for in the impenetrable W3C documentation: What qualifies as owl:Class?

It is, to me, a general problem that those documents don’t give generic definitions, only examples.

After some searching I found:  “In general classes are used to group individuals that have something in common in order to refer to them. Hence, classes essentially represent sets of individuals.”

Who then is the judge which “individuals” qualify to be grouped into a class? The folks who designed an OWL  parser? And where can I find what qualifies as “individual”? Something you can touch? But is Xmas 2018 not an individual, a member of all Xmas’s since the year zero?

It seems to me that an official W3C vocabulary should be composed (and maintained!) that defines everything, that you can run into, in formal, consistent, textual definitions, including what is legal in which context.

To illustrate my confusion I digged up a diagram that I made 13 years ago in an attempt to understand that confusing stuff. It was based on what I read in the various W3C douments.

I guess this is what “organic growth” entails :)

Thanks again for your attention, and thanks to those other folks who also responded.

Regards,

Hans

15926.org <http://15926.org/>