Re: How to fund a website for getting started with RDF applications?

David, I respect, encourage, and sympathize with your efforts in this
area.

My ideal "central website" for RDF newcomers would be something like the
xml CoverPages (http://xml.coverpages.org). Back when my main work was
document design and processing, (and way before the site acquired Oasis
sponsorship), I would daily scan through the new items to keep up with
the breadth of activity. And when I had to tackle some new problem in
XML, I would do a more focused search for relevant material. Yes, the
site grew too big and had usability problems, but if re-imagined in
linked data format it might be more friendly.

RDF and related technologies make a pretty big elephant, and everyone's
going to come to it with different needs and perceptions (just like with
XML and its related technology stack). So I don't think a single "Start
here" page for RDF will meet any one person's need.

But besides a curated, annotated bibliography (like CoverPages), you are
right that some specific hands-on instructions for beginners would be
helpful. But not like step 1, step 2, step 3, because there's no way any
single approach is going to be useful for everybody. What's needed is a
cookbook approach, or pattern collection. In the latter category,
there's already a fine resource,
http://patterns.dataincubator.org/book/.

Regards,
--Paul