Re: Solomon''s curse and search Bias

On 3/5/2019 1:01 AM, Paola Di Maio wrote:

> what I am trying to say, I guess, is that to understand the world and
> resolve the meaning of life we need to reconcile the vastly fragmented
> data and information to yield a reasonably comprehensive
> search result,  even when ordering the sandwich

I don't think that this is how our brains are constructed.  And I don't
want to unify the universe of knowledge before ordering a sandwich for
lunch.  Instead, I want to do it in a way that is easy, low energy, and
is compatible with my needs and moods of the moment.  Maybe I want
comfort food, maybe I want a gourmet experience, maybe I want to impress
a date, and so on.

So I want my brain to be able to take shortcuts that reliably serve my
(mostly unconscious) intentions.  That's a long way from consolidating
the universe and the meaning of life to order a sandwich.

I think that, if there is one aspect of all this that tops the others,
it would be the brain's ability to associate information, memories,
ideas, concepts, etc., extremely quickly so as to bring a focused subset
of its information to bear on a situation.  We hardly even know how all
those different kinds on things (information, memories, etc.) could be
encoded and retrieved in similar ways, let alone how to retrieve mainly
the most relevant of them.

Solve the above, and your search engines will become much closer to what
you want (and what we all of us want as well).

TomP