Re: Carbon Efficiency of Semantic Web and Linked Data Queries

I wanted to add some perspective. The principal components of aluminum
refining are electricity and carbon and takes a significant amount of
electricity and produces large amounts of greenhouse gasses. Most of the
electricity consumed is produced by coal. Yes, we should be concerned about
energy consumption for computing but I wouldn't be surprised if you would
save more electricity and produce fewer greenhouse gasses by *expending*
computing resources on making aluminum production and recycling more
efficient.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_smelting
[2]
http://www.world-aluminium.org/statistics/primary-aluminium-smelting-power-consumption/#histogram