Re: Carbon Efficiency of Semantic Web and Linked Data Queries

My guess is that such studies have not been done, mostly because widespread
deployment as would happen if Solid became widespread has not happened
yet.

But there are some reasons one could be optimistic.

1. everyone has a DSL box at home currently that is on and not doing much
a lot of the day, so consuming energy for nothing. Instead with Solid Pods
those would be doing something useful, and could use electricity from solar
energy produced locally. So you don’t increase local electricity costs
that much, you can use locally produced electricity, but you increase some
consumption of data.

2. It is likely that most people communicate with local friends, and in
most case don’t cross frontiers due to language barriers. This may not be
the case for the W3C community, but for the wider populations this is a
lot more likely.  So in a way Solid pods communicating with local friends
would use less energy, since packets would not need to be sent around the
world.

3. There are a lot of optimization strategies that can be made by having
widely deployed pods. For example used in p2p networks, by fetching copies
of data heavy media in the nearest cache.

4. With the internet of things growing, having the packets stay as far as
required in the home rather than go to large service providers, should
also improve data costs as well as privacy. That is the role of a local DSL
box turned into a data pod is in any case going to grow in importance, so
one may as well use this growing infrastructure.

Since producing energy locally is more efficient, and communicating locally
when that is needed is better, there are reasons to think that some of
the advantages of large providers may be offset in other ways. That is
without counting the huge improvements in efficiency in communication
that come with HTTP2, reactive frameworks, and cpu efficiencies.

Henry