Re: Deep Fakes, Phishing & Epistemological War - how we can help combat these.

On 6/5/19 4:50 PM, Henry Story wrote:
 > It is easy to make web sites that look like existing
 > news agencies, university, church, or even government web
 > site. Such institutions used to have large buildings that
 > could not be built overnight and that were visible to all
 > and recognizable.

Great comparison!  Perhaps the non-physical "location" and "size" of a
web site could be other helpful cues about its probable authenticity:

  - "Location" of a web site translates into who else (web sites,
institutions, people) links to it.  This might be a useful proxy for
trust, in the absence of more authoritative web-of-trust data.  This is
closely related to PageRank
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank
though it could be enhanced by actual web-of-trust data.

  - "Size" of a web site translates into the amount of traffic it gets
over a long enough time period -- especially if that traffic was
referred by other trusted sites as opposed to email messages that might
be phishing.  This data could be collected anonymously by browsers, or
possibly by network carriers.

David Booth