Re: Deep Fakes, Phishing & Epistemological War - how we can help combat these.

From: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 09:54:15 +0100
To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On 04/06/2019 09:37, Henry Story wrote:
> In a recent article on Deep Fakes in the Washington Post,
> Assistant Prof. of Global Politics Dr. Brian Klaas, University
> College London, wrote
> "You thought 2016 was a mess? You ain't seen nothing yet.”
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/14/deepfakes-are-coming-were-not-ready/
>
> Deep fakes are produced by new technological breakthroughs that allows one to
> realistically create live videos of real people, to make them say whatever one
> wants them to say with the right tone of voice too. There is no turning back
> this technology, and this will bring us back to a pre-photographic world,
> where trust in the coherence and authorship of a story is all we have to go
> by for believability.

This, from Tim Bray?:

"How about camera companies install a signed cert on each device, and the device
signs each photo/video-clip before saving? #TruthTech"

-- https://twitter.com/timbray/status/942176960632971264

(There's some discussion in replies about extracting signing keys from the
device, but I think that presumes physical access to the device.)

#g