Re: Deep Fakes, Phishing & Epistemological War - how we can help combat these.

Henry-
had some further thoughts on Deepfakes, cannot remember if I posted this
email or not (sorry too much info) If I have already said this just ignore.

Reality is so manipulated (at all levels) that humans have lost  (maybe
never had) the ability to understand of what is real beyond doubt,  The
vastness of widespread deceit (about news, history, and even science!) and
limited resources to verify everything that we hear, we need to limit our
fact checking to the strictly necessary facts that support our decision
making
So when I read or hear some fact, I do my best to verify its true.
(I remember posting about truth and fact checking as a technical
requirement for accurate systems development on a prior occasions)

Deepfakes adds another layer to that manipulation and falsification of
reality, by leveraging new technology.

I see two areas of concern
a) technology ethics - a fun  technology developed to animate fictional
output is used to falsify reality  (making people say what they have not)
with potentially devastanting consequences is  not entirely new-
manipulation has always occurred by twisting, falsifying or taking out of
context what people may say.
Misinformation and misrepresentation are  a less technologically
sophisticated, but with similar consequences (to manipulate public opinion
and behaviours)
This already happened with emails.  Deepfakes is a progression of  spoofing
tech where someone fakes another person email address.

b) the increased value of authenticity, and authentication tech

From a systems view point, another layer of risk, can be addressed with
another layer of architecture (strenghten authentication layer?)