Re: [ANN] Sophia: A Rust toolkit for RDF and Linked Data

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 07:45, Pierre-Antoine Champin <
pierre-antoine.champin@univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 13:23, John P. McCrae <
> john.mccrae@insight-centre.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks, it looks very interesting.
>>

> Thanks :)
>
> What is the difference between this project and other RDF Rust libraries,
>> particularly Rome <https://github.com/vandenoever/rome>?
>>

> Sophia started as a project to teach myself Rust. For that purpose, I
> thought I would either create or contribute to an RDF library. I had a look
> at a few existing libraries (including Rome), and none of them looked
> active anymore. Additionally, I was not entirely comfortable with the
> design choices that had been done. So I ended up creating my own.
>
> That being said, I have noticed that Rome has become more active again in
> the meantime, so I have to look more into it, and see how both project can
> cross-fertilize each other. I am also in contact with the developers of
> Rudf (https://github.com/Tpt/rudf).

That is great. I wasn't aware of this project as it is not listed on
crates.io.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to form a group for those interested in
>> implementing Semantic Web standards in Rust, sort of like a "Are We
>> Semantic Web Yet?" so we can create a roadmap to have a pure-Rust library
>> which supports the majority of the current standards from RDF/XML to
>> JSON-LD to HDT.
>>

> Sounds great! Actually, I was wondering about creating a Community Group
> "rdf-rust", who could be managing a "Are We Semantic Web Yet?"...

Indeed these seems like a really good idea. I would be happy to help you in
proposing and organizing such as group:

https://www.w3.org/community/groups/propose_cg/

Regards,
John