Re: RDF(-DEV), back to the future (was Re: Semantic Web Interest Group now closed)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 04:54, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:

> This is way overly long, sorry. I wrote down some pre-2001 RDF history,
> since this community transition point is a good time to take stock and
> remember SWIG/RDFIG and RDF-DEV things that we forgot to record, before it
> is too late.
>
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 16:06, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Thanks Ralph. I had hoped to propose a new followup Community Group last
>>> week but got swept up in f2f discussions during the ISWC conference.
>>>
>>> Both SW and Linked Data have rather prescriptive overtones (1-star,
>>> 5-star, #-/ redirects etc.). My suggestion to Ralph, Ivan and team was to
>>> Interest Group. It was "RDF-DEV" originally, named in tribute to XML's now
>>> decades-spanning XML-DEV community.
>>>

>> Linked data already has a list.
>>
>> I think changing the name of something that's been going a fair requires
>> some onus of the proposer to justify it.
>>

> We can potentially keep both semantic-web@ and public-lod@ but we cannot
> take their existing membership and treat those unknown parties as W3C
> Community Group members; the CG process doesn't work like that, since there
> are various things to agree to when joining a CG. So the suggest is a new
> lightweight rdf-dev@ Community Group, even with most discussions staying
> at least for now on their current lists.
>

>> Regarding the specific motivation, it would be good to look at.
>>
>> Prescriptive.  Not sure what this alludes to.  There have been debates
>> over different quality of data (1 star - 5 star) but surely that is not
>> only as expected, but as designed!
>>

> (The "1-5 star" viewpoint is one of several views on how to deploy RDF at
> scale. There are other perspectives that shift burdens from publishers to
> consumers, neither is wrong or right, just a landscape of tradeoffs and
> compromises.)

Got it, I think we were saying the same thing.  Only I learnt a new word :)

>> The semantic web gives you a protocol where one set of data can interface
>> with another.  So the degree of plumbing goes from the network, to the
>> data.  Instead of looking at packets you're looking at data shapes.  So
>> isnt it only natural that data quality becomes an increasing topic of
>> interest.
>>
>> On the specific case of #-/ redirects, tatooed agents not withstanding,
>> this is simply a conversation about data shapes, isnt it (maybe im using
>> the wrong word there)?  In some systems the data model overloads the shape
>> of data so that a URI points to a document and class.  This for some is a
>> neat slight of hand, and no future analysis is needed.  For others the
>> overloading causes edge cases which are hard to resolve.  The example I
>> once gave is, "I might like RIcky Martin's home page, but I might not lick
>> RIcky Martin".  Isn't this the kind of discussion that is to be encouraged
>> as we start to learn to put data together, and learn about interop?
>>
>> Final observation.  I came to this community as a skeptic.  For many the
>> term "rdf" doesnt mean much, but the term "semantic web" is magic.
>> Outsiders dont know what it does, they know it's complex, too complex for
>> them, but they also know it contains a dark power, that if one day is
>> unleashed, will be a game changer.  I think it's a mixed brand but a
>> powerful one.  Not heard enough yet to feel like ditching it, but am open
>> and interested.
>>

> (A few more general thoughts on SWIG/RDFIG and staying engaged with our
> historical roots, now that I am typing on a computer with a keyboard)
>
> Firstly to respond on the naming point: not using a slogan as a Community
> Group name is absolutely not the same as ditching it! We will have many
> slogans, for many contexts. For better or worse, "Linked Data" has come to
> be associated with certain very specific notions of publication best
> practice for *public* RDF data, and "Semantic Web" has acquired different
> overtones (("of dark powers? :)). There is a common element to both, and
> that is the idea of having a shared structured data model based around a
> graph abstraction. As a shorthand for that idea in W3C circles, I think
> it's fair to just say "RDF".

So, that seems like a branding question.  Only point I'd want to make is
that to people that dont know what the semantic web does, they think it can
do almost anything, and that kind of fascination, imho is not present in
the rdf brand, and linked data is considered the nice form.  My personal
view is that having an element of fascination is key to creating something
that goes mainstream.  Very subjective, and perhaps not useful.

> [...]
> that effort became something of a second hub of W3C RDF-related activity,
> for those whose interests were not primarily in the logic/reasoning arena.
> Several practically minded RDF implementors de-camped to the public-lod@
> mailing list, the community became rather divided into two clusters, and to
> some extent at least, "Semantic Web" has drifted into being more of a
> topical research area than a shared project to improve the Web. W3C stopped
> using the "Semantic Web" name actively for new WGs some years ago. Most
> recently there have been discussions about how graph databases (property
> graphs, gremlin etc.) relate to W3C's existing portfolio of specs, and some
> engagement with the emerging "Knowledge Graphs" perspective. My feeling
> from those conversations, and especially from last week's excellent ISWC,
> is that the different strands of activity are gradually re-converging, with
> a broadly RDF-ish notion of graph data as the shared core, rather than an
> over-riding emphasis on inference/ontology, or on particular (e.g. LOD)
> publication patterns or requirements that all structured data publishers
> must meet. Re-centering on the shared graph data model absolutely doesn't
> preclude initiatives to find stronger consensus, whether they are around
> query, OWL2, SHACL/ShEx, WebID/Solid, or the never-ending quest for the
> perfect syntax. That's where I feel we are today, but I wanted also to
> share some historical notes on how we got here (as a cluster of efforts
> touching W3C via SWIG, RDFIG, RDF-DEV).
>

> The first public RDF draft is 21 years old this month. See
> https://www.w3.org/TR/WD-rdf-syntax-971002/
>
> I met Ralph Swick and Eric Miller at the Dublin Core conference in Finland
> that week in October 1997, alongside Dublin Core folk like Tom Baker and
> Stu Weibel, having read this first public RDF draft on the plane flight
> out, and asked them whether RDF's schema language would be at least as
> expressive as MCF's, i.e. https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-MCF-XML/
> https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-MCF-XML/MCF-tutorial.html and
> http://www.guha.com/mcf/wp.html ).  They said that they thought so, and
> I've been involved with the RDF effort in one capacity or another ever
> since. In those days, W3C was patterned loosely after the X Consortium, and
> all Working Groups operated in private, members-only fora. When we started
> the RDF Interest Group in 1999 it built a year or so's early adopter
> discussions on the RDF-DEV list,
> http://web.archive.org/web/19990508122105/www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/rdf-dev/archive.html
> ... that's the reason I'm proposing the otherwise quirky "RDF-DEV' name
> once more.
>
> Not everyone here will remember RDF-DEV, and the archives are currently
> offline except via Archive.org (although I'm trying to fix that). It might
> be a good moment to spend a little time looking back on early RDF, and on
> RDF-DEV, as we take stock of where we stand today.

Before my time, history is v interesting tho.

> [...]
> and reworked them into the earliest versions of SKOS. In 2018, starting
> fresh, all of these things would simply be independent W3C Community
> Groups. 15-20 years ago, we didn't have that mechanism available to us, and
> so everything was squeezed into one big (RDF/SW) "Interest Group".
>
> In practical terms, is there a need for a successor to RDF-DEV, RDFIG and
> SWIG? Perhaps not. W3C in 1997-1999 and the early 2000s was a different
> place. In many ways the efforts of this community trail-blazed W3C's
> subsequent opening up into public-participation groups, through blogs,
> wikis, public logged IRC chat, collaborative technology projects, and
> suchlike.
>
> That is in fact the reason for this week's SWIG shutdown. We have gone
> from being ahead of our time (the rest of W3C opened up years later), to
> being a kind of legacy historical anachronism, a glitch in the
> spreadsheets. The W3C Community Group mechanism, in some ways a result of
> our early experiments here with public participation, is just the modern
> way of doing this kind of thing, and we should catch up with the new
> mechanisms. It simply doesn't make sense any more to have a public
> participation Interest Group on W3C's management books in 2018. In
> addition, the new CG infrastructure, which many of us have already been
> using for related groups, offers facilities that we don't have for SWIG,
> including some IP commitments which make it easier to produce W3C documents
> together, as well as useful tools like blogs.
>
> There are already a ton of W3C Community Groups on all kinds of topics
> relating to the interests of folk here. You can check out the list at
> https://www.w3.org/community/groups/ if you've not looked recently. It is
> a relatively self-service mechanism, if you can get a small group of
> interested parties together who'd like to have a group, the bureacracy is
> pretty lightweight. That's what I'd like to do here with the group that
> began as RDF-DEV, and which was RDFIG and SWIG for many years.
>
> Ok, this mail is too long. I have filled out the proposal form for a
> RDF-DEV CG,
>
> "RDF-DEV, for developments relating to W3C RDF, including collaboration
> around applications, schemas, and past/present/future related standards.
> Successor to SWIG/RDFIG."
>
> The list creation bot says "CONGRATULATIONS! RDF-DEV is now in our list of
> proposed groups with you as the first supporter."
>
> See https://www.w3.org/community/groups/proposed/ for the link. I promise
> not to send mails this long if the group goes ahead.
>
> Regarding mailing lists, I would encourage the W3C team to leave this one
> (semantic-web@) alive, alongside public-lod@,  and then we can use a new
> rdf-dev@ list bonded to the CG for those who want to collaborate more
> closely, e.g. on W3C specs. But I think it's best left to Ralph, Ivan et al
> to make a judgement call on that, based on the responses in these threads.

Must admit I skimmed most of this, but I will save it for later, thanks for
all the details!

In any case rdf-dev is a thing now.  Joined.  Onward!

https://www.w3.org/community/rdf-dev/