RDF graph merging: How useful is it really? (was Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal)

hi all,

mhmm... I just realized that maybe I should not call out people on visions while I spread negative visions about computer security myself :-)

So change of topic:

RDF graph merging has been named as one of the big pros of RDF. Does this stand up to scrutiny - especially for the "average 33%" use case?

I can easily import relational data from different sources into a RDB server - one database per source or rename tables with a prefix. Am I really so much worse off than the guy with the triple store trying to make sense of his triple soup?

Depends on the quality of the data sources I guess. Triples - (re)use of well known ontologies and URIs. RDB - good documentation and common keys. But RDF won't free me from some detailed inspection and cleaning. The RDB makes this easier because it has provenance information - unless I use quads in the triple store to keep provenance.

What about querying?

RDF will shine when I want to query the combined pool for some entity - like persons from source A together with persons from source B. But I still may have duplicates! In the RDB, I would probably create a new table to merge the entities and address the problem with duplicates on the way.

And joins? If I use quads for provenance, will my SPAQRL queries be easier than my RDB joins? I doubt it.

And is the potential time saved relevant for the average developer? Who will probably have to invest a lot of time anyway to make sure that the new data does not screw up his app?

Maybe someone will mention SHACL now or some similar stuff. But aren't most of the problems addressed by that already solved out of the box in my RDB?

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--
++  Michael Brunnbauer