Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

Tom certainly has a valid point, and I think it's worth drilling into
these distinctions to clarify where the sweet spot would be.

There are various ways that XML trees can simulate graph structures,
e.g. by marking certain attributes as ID or IDREF in DTDs. Likewise, for
JSON the native runtime structure is technically an object model that
can represent graphs. In both cases, these are arguably a bit artificial
and inconsistent while RDF is designed from the ground up to be a
"native" graph data model. These differences manifest themselves in how
the APIs look like, how the languages are explained etc. An XML user is
confronted with a variety of different attribute patterns on how object
relations are represented (even GraphML), while only the 'child-nodes'
relation is truly native to the APIs. For JSON, JSON-LD illustrates how
graphs can be represented, yet if you load a JSON-LD file, you still
don't get native JSON objects in their most natural form.

So let me rephrase:

XML and JSON are primarily designed for tree structures.
RDF is designed from the ground up for graph structures.

Holger