Re: Developers don't use the Semantic Web because they shouldn't

*Jürgen Jakobitsch*
Senior Technical Consultant
Semantic Web Company GmbH
EU: +43-14021235 <+43%201%204021235>
US: (415) 800-3776
Mobile: +43-676-6212710 <+43%20676%206212710>
https://www.poolparty.biz
https://www.semantic-web.com

*Download E-Book*: Introducing Semantic AI
<https://www.poolparty.biz/machine-learning-meets-semantics/>

Am Fr., 23. Nov. 2018 um 18:48 Uhr schrieb Michael Brunnbauer <
brunni@netestate.de>:

> Hello Jürgen,
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 05:58:52PM +0100, Jürgen Jakobitsch wrote:
> > are you somehow implying that the avg. dev. has any clue about relational
> > databases?
>
> No.
>
> > did you ever realize that humans have a tendency to use EAV on a daily
> > basis, some also call this "speaking"..
>
> You're stretching the sense of EAV quite far. Would this entail anything
> relevant to the discussion?
>
> with respect to antipattern, you must be talking about technical
> > implementation details, right?
>
> No. Just google "eav antipattern".

michael, i'm streching on purpose, because i think you are drawing a
conceptual conclusion from a technical issue. while there might be
technical difficulties to overcome when storing triples/quads in a
relational database the conclusion that EAV (RDF) only makes sense in a
handful of situations can hardly stand.
in my experience the biggest trouble traditional devs are struggling with
is that they basically only change the underlying data model and want to
keep the way they are dealing with it (e.g. applying default techniques
like pojos with their nice getters and setters in a static world).
however we moved silently to stream handlers over the past couple of years
where we don't exactly know when an entity description ends: we moved from
photo to movie..

> > confess: you haven't seen many a database, right? :-)
>
> Depends on your idea of many. I did not count them. Probably created at
> least a dozen relational schemas and had a look at some more. If this is
> what
> you're aiming for: Yes I'm not a database expert.

this is with respect to :

"RDF is deceptively simple. You start with a simple idea and end up with a
complex mess. Or as they say about EAV: "It gives you enough rope to hang
yourself". I don't think this will be popular in the world of tomorrow -
when the tower has fallen."

data governance is hardly anywhere active these days and no matter which
data model you are using it's always the same.