Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: William Waites <wwaites@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 12:49:50 +0000
Cc: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, olaf.hartig@liu.se, Axel Polleres <axel@polleres.net>
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> RDF is declarative.  It doesnt do anything on its own, but with the
> right view it can indeed do lots of things.
>
> Perhaps RDF was ahead of its time, but declarative models are
> coming more and more into modern web programming.

Great! I like programming in a declarative style. ML and Haskell are
my favourites. But then we need a compiler to turn the description
of the world into something that does something. What do we have
that does this? Or do we expect new developers to write compilers
for domain-specific languages?

Actually, I’ve done a little of this, explicitly writing a compiler for an
RDF domain-specific language. It’s a nice model. But it’s really not
a task for a beginner.

Cheers,
-w