Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: William Waites <wwaites@tardis.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 12:36:35 +0000
Cc: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, olaf.hartig@liu.se, Axel Polleres <axel@polleres.net>
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> Javascript frameworks (lets say react) for example is technically more
> difficult than RDF, but it keeps developer attention...  I cant answer why,
> but I can point out some differences.
>
> 1. Canonical Documentation.
> 2. Beginner friendly tutorials.
> 3. Beginner friendly support.

These things are important but there is a basic difference with the next one:

> 4. Building things.  When learning JS you can right from the very start see
> what it does, and build things.

Isn’t the difference here that RDF doesn’t “do” anything? It’s not a programming
language it’s a way of writing down data. Data doesn’t do things. To get
anything out of it at all you also need a programming language and some sort
of library.

Because there’s a fair amount to learn about RDF as a data language, and it’s
much less obvious than, e.g. JSON, a new developer has to learn both a
programming environment and a data environment. Maybe that’s twice as
much effort or more.

What do you think?

-w