Re: "Language-tagged strings Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal"

From: ajs6f <ajs6f@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:50:21 -0500
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

> On Nov 23, 2018, at 9:03 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy@seaborne.org> wrote:
>
> As someone who works with a product that is used by users in different geographies, I can say that language tags matter.
>
> And I live near "cymru"@cy.

One of the few ways I have been able to "sell" investment in RDF at scale to folks in the cultural heritage sector is that it offers a fairly straightforward and uniform approach to i18n. I don't have to argue that it's perfect... just that it is easy to understand, it can be implemented without a lot of overhead, and (crucially) it allows people to share translation work easily.

---
Adam Soroka
Research Computing : Office of the CIO : the Smithsonian Institution