Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 10:09:36 +0000
Cc: Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org>, semantic-web@w3.org
To: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>

> On 22 Nov 2018, at 23:22, Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> In my viewpoint, an RDF graph is primarily a data structure - a set of triples. Combining RDF triples produces another data structure as the union of these triples. That's it. BTW neither SPARQL nor Turtle nor many other RDF-based standards require "open world", so this interpretation could be made entirely optional.

In addition, real-world data may in some cases be uncertain, incomplete, inconsistent or contain errors. A data cleaning exercise can help but may not be adequate. This can be addressed by approaches that embody rational beliefs based upon the statistics of prior knowledge and experience.  In essence, we need flexibility for how we handle data as the underlying assumptions may differ from one application to another.

W3C Data Activity Lead & W3C champion for the Web of things